Last week we created the most delicious char siu roast chicken – the kids absolutely loved it and so did we.
So with half a jar of char siu sauce still nestled in the refrigerator I knew I had to put it to good use and whip up another chicken char siu flavour combo and with little time, patience and energy left (it had been on of those days) a super simple stir fry fit the bill.
With the kids running around my feet playing catch the ‘piggy’, I quickly chopped up a couple of free range chicken breasts and retrieved two beautiful looking bunches of broccolini from the fridge. I heated the pan, added the chicken (along with a drizzle of olive oil) and cooked until amazingly golden. Then went in the broccolini and once tender the chicken along with the char siu sauce returned to the pan to bubble away for a minute or two.
My absolutely favourite shortcut ingredient at the moment is precooked (packaged) brown rice…I simply popped it into the microwave for a minute or two to reheat then covered the base of our serving dish with the lightest most beautifully cooked layer of brown rice. I know it’s no hard task to cook your own rice but when dinner time is coming at me with the pace and velocity of the Hogwarts Express, it is such a sanity saving shortcut that I feel no guilt whatsoever in taking (and either should you beautiful).
So…I then topped the layer of rice with our beautifully shiny mix of char siu chicken and broccolini – added a small of handful of sesame seeds to pretty-it-up just a little and we sat down to eat.
My kids already adore broccolini and chicken but the addition of the beautifully fragrant barbecue flavoured char siu had them devouring it even more furiously.
To create your own char siu chicken & broccolini stir fry simply…
Begin by heating a frypan to medium-high heat. Add a drizzle of olive oil and chicken and cook for 2-3 minutes (each side) or until lovely and golden and cooked through.
Place the cooked chicken into a bowl and set aside for a mere minute or two.
Add the broccolini to the pan and cook over medium-high heat for 3-4 minutes, or until just tender.
Return the chicken to the pan, along with 3 tablespoons of char siu sauce and toss to combine.
Simmer for a minute or two, just until the sauce begins to thicken ever so slightly.
Cover the base of a serving platter in a layer of cooked brown rice (I use the recooked/packaged brown rice we find at our local supermarket – it saves me a tonne of time and effort and has become my little secret weapon when putting together super simple mid-week suppers).
Top the layer of brown rice with the chicken and broccolini soaked char siu deliciousness and sprinkle with a small handfuls of sesame seeds (if you wish). Enjoy x
- 2 free range organic chicken breasts, cut into small pieces
- olive oil, to cook in
- 2 bunches broccolini, ends trimmed
- 3 tablespoons char siu sauce
- cooked brown rice, to serve (& a small handful of sesame seeds if you wish)
- Heat a nonstick frypan to medium high heat, add a drizzle of olive oil and chicken and cook for 3-4 minutes (each side) or until lovely and golden and cooked through. Place chicken into a small bowl and set aside. Add broccolini to pan and cook over medium-high heat for 3-4 minutes, or until just tender. Return the chicken to the pan, add char siu sauce and toss to combine. Simmer for 1-2 minutes, or until sauce slightly thickens. Cover the base of a serving dish with cooked brown rice, top with chicken and broccolini and garnish with sesame seeds. Enjoy x
you may also like…