If you’re a coconut fan – this recipe is for you! Our banana and coconut nice cream is AMAZING!
This lovely little recipe came about when the kids and I needed an icy cold summertime treat – other than our mango popsicles that’ve been on constant rerun.
We blended together the flavours of banana, coconut and vanilla early one morning before we set out for a day at the beach. The kids had so much fun creating this nice cream and I’ve never seen them gobble up so many raspberries!
Returning home covered in sunscreen and sand we couldn’t wait to dive into our banana coconut creation.
But before we did we decided to make our nice cream a little more festive and topped her with a tonne of ruby red raspberries, slithers of green pistachios and a drizzle of sticky honey – holy yummy!
The nice cream alone is delicious but with the addition of extra raspberries, pistachio and honey – we couldn’t stop eating. I’m even thinking about popping this recipe onto our boxing day menu. Although the texture isn’t as creamy as traditional ice cream – it is just as cool and refreshing, oh and a whole lot more virtuous.
To make your own banana and coconut nice cream simply…
Begin by setting your little ones up at the kitchen bench and collect the ingredients you’ll need – coconut milk, coconut cream, raspberries, pistachios, vanilla bean paste and frozen banana.
Grab your blender and ask your child to place the frozen banana into the jug.
Next, measure the coconut milk together and ask your child to pour it into the jug.
Measure the coconut cream and again ask your child to pour it into the jug.
Arm your little one with a teaspoon and ask them to measure a teaspoon of vanilla bean paste (or extract) and add to the jug. If using maple syrup add it to the mixture too.
Pop the lid on your blender. And blitz the mixture until smooth and creamy – approx. 2-3 minutes.
Ask your little one to add the raspberries to the mixture.
Then add the pistachios too.
Arm your little one with a wooden spoon and ask them to gently stir the raspberries and pistachios throughout the mixture.
Pour the mixture into a standard loaf tin lined with cling film. We used about 6 pieces of cling film to really ensure the tin was lined and to make it easier to remove the nice cream once frozen.
Cover with cling film and pop into the deep freeze overnight. When you’re ready to serve – use the edges of the cling film to pull the frozen loaf of nice cream out of the tin and place onto a serving platter. Top with raspberries, chopped pistachios and a drizzle of honey.
- 3 frozen bananas, chopped
- 500 ml coconut cream
- 270ml coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste [or extract]
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup [optional]
- 400 grams raspberries
- 100 grams pistachios, chopped
- 2 tablespoons honey, to serve
- Place the bananas, coconut cream, coconut milk, vanilla and maple syrup (if using) into a blender and blitz until smooth. Approx. 2-3 minutes. Add 200 grams of raspberries and 50 grams of pistachios to the mixture and gently stir to combine. Pour the mixture into a standard loaf tin lined with cling film. Cover and pop into the deep freeze overnight. When you're ready to serve - use the edges of the cling film to pull the frozen loaf of nice cream out of the tin and place onto a serving platter. Top with remaining raspberries, chopped pistachios and a drizzle of honey. Enjoy.
you may also like…