Today’s pesto chicken skewers and tomato salad with crispy croutons is your ultimate ‘cook once, eat twice’ midweek dinner.
I cooked this simple supper last week and stretched the gorgeously golden chicken skewers over two evenings thanks to the addition of our beloved sweet potato chips on night no. 2.
The kids absolutely loved loved loved these pesto chicken skewers – the chicken is super tender and full of flavour thanks to the basil pesto. We used store-bought pesto but if you’d like to make your own our kale pesto works just as beautifully.
The tomato salad was also a HUGE hit with Grace and Harry thanks to the wreath of crispy crunchy croutons surrounding it. The gorgeously toasted bread caught the little ones attention and when topped with pieces of tomato and fennel we made itsy bitty bruschetta’s.
This dinner has definitely made it’s way onto our ‘go-to recipes’ list – its the perfect simple dinner during the busy week.
To make your own pesto chicken skewers and tomato salad with crispy croutons simply…
Begin by slicing the fennel bulb in half, then into very thin slices. Set aside.
Chop the cherry tomatoes in a mixture of different shapes – I love to slice some into quarters, others into half and the remaining into thin slices. The different shapes look so beautiful. Set aside.
Arrange the rocket, tomatoes and fennel on a large plate and toss gently to combine.
Crumble over the feta cheese. Drizzle with the olive oil, balsamic glaze and season with sea salt and pepper. Set aside in the fridge whilst you toast the croutons.
Heat a nonstick frypan over medium-high heat. Add olive oil and turkish bread and cook the slices of bread for 2-3 minutes each side, or until lovely and golden.
Arrange the crispy croutons like a wreath around the salad. Set aside.
Chop the chicken breast into thin slices. Place the chicken pieces and pesto into a bowl and stir until combined.
Thread the chicken pieces on the skewers.
Heat the nonstick frypan to medium-high heat. Add olive oil and chicken skewers and cook 4-5 minutes (each side) or until the skewers are golden and cooked through. Arrange the cooked pesto chicken skewers onto a large plate and serve alongside the tomato salad with crispy croutons. Enjoy X
- 3 cups rocket (or salad leaves of your choice)
- ½ fennel bulb, thinly sliced
- 250 grams cherry tomatoes, sliced
- 80 grams feta, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic glaze (or vinegar)
- sea salt and pepper, to season
- 1 small loaf turkish bread, thinly sliced
- olive oil, to fry in
- 500 grams chicken breast, thinly sliced
- ⅓ cup store-bought basil pesto
- Arrange rocket, fennel and tomatoes on a large plate and toss to combine. Top with crumbled feta. Drizzle with olive oil, balsamic glaze and season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Heat a nonstick frypan to medium-high heat, add olive oil and turkish bread slices and cook 2-3 minutes each side or until golden and crispy. Arrange croutons like a wreath around the salad.
- Place chicken and pesto into a large bowl and toss to combine. Thread chicken onto skewers. Heat frypan to medium-high heat, add olive oil and chicken skewers and cook 4-5 minutes (each side) or until the chicken is golden and cooked through. Arrange chicken skewers onto a plate and serve alongside the salad. Enjoy X
you may also like…