Today’s muffin flavour combination came directly from Miss G. herself. When I asked what kind of muffins we should bake my lovely little helper said we should cook ‘strawberry, banana and choc chip mama!’. A little different, I know, but how could I say no to such a sweet little request.
And thankfully the concoction of strawberry, banana and cacao nibs worked beautifully.
The banana and strawberries created so much natural sweetness, the muffins only needed a half cup of coconut sugar as well as a sprinkle of wonderfully dark cacao nibs. And the combination of wholemeal flour and yoghurt ensured the muffins were hearty and wholesome creating the perfect little satisfying snack.
Once our muffins had baked to golden gorgeousness and cooled, I opted to wrap half of the batch lovely and tight and pop into a freezer safe container to stash away in the deep freeze for another day. There’s nothing quite like the feeling of smugness knowing the freezer is chockfull of delicious treats ready for a rainy day.
To create your own batch of easy peasy strawberry, banana & cacao nib muffins simply…
Begin by preheating oven to 180 degrees celsius (350 F) and line a 12 hole muffin tin with papers. Set aside.
Place the bananas, yoghurt, coconut sugar, coconut oil, eggs and vanilla bean paste into a large bowl and whisk to combine.
Add the wholemeal flour and baking powder and stir to combine.
Prepare the strawberries by slicing 12 round pieces (for decoration) and dicing the rest.
Add the diced strawberries and cacao nibs and stir to combine.
Divide the batter evenly between the prepared tray, top each muffin with a slice of strawberry and a sprinkle of cacao nibs. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until gorgeously golden and when a skewer inserted removes cleanly.
Allow to cool for 5 minutes or so before placing the muffins onto a wire rack to cool completely.
Serve the strawberry studded muffin along with a few slices of apple and blueberry for a lovely little treat. Enjoy x
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup (125 ml) coconut oil, melted and slightly cooled
- ½ cup (110 grams) coconut sugar (alternative – ½ cup brown sugar or maple syrup)
- 1 cup (250 ml) greek yoghurt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla bean paste
- 2 bananas, mashed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- 2 cups (300 grams) wholemeal plain flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 x 250 gram punnet strawberries, cut 12 rounds (to decorate) and dice the remaining
- ½ cup (60 grams) cacao nibs, plus extra to decorate
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius (350F) and line a 12 hole muffin tin with papers. Place the eggs, coconut oil, sugar, yoghurt, bananas and vanilla bean paste into a large bowl and whisk to combine. Add the flour and baking powder and mix until just combined. Do not overmix. Gently fold through the diced strawberries and cacao nibs. Divide the mixture evenly between the muffin papers and top each muffin with a round of strawberry and a sprinkle of cacao nibs. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden and when a skewer inserted removes cleanly. Allow to cool for a minute or so before removing the muffins from the tin and placing on a wire rack to cool completely. Serve alongside a little fresh fruit for a lovely morning tea. Enjoy x
you may also like…