Coming up with new recipes for breakfast has been the best fun lately. First thing in the morning, the kids are bright, happy and fresh and love nothing more than spending a little time (and making quite the mess) in the kitchen. Especially Miss G. even if we have a simple piece of toast she has to spread the butter and topping and slice up the fruit to go alongside.
So far this year we’ve created our raspberry & banana breakfast smoothies, easy peasy 2 ingredient pancakes, apple coconut and buckwheat breakfast cookies as well as a gorgeous batch of carrot cake cookies. Yum.
But today’s breakfast recipe concoction has to be our favourite thus far. The ‘raw’ cups are a mix of coconut, cashew, pistachio and date and are ‘set’ in the freezer. The crunchy yet chewy cups are the perfect nutty little vessel to adorn a dollop of Greek yoghurt and fresh berries and the kids absolutely demolished them. So did Mr my lovely little lunch box!
This recipe makes five breakfast cups which can be left in the freezer (in a freezer safe air tight container) for up to a week which is great for those super busy mornings.
To create your own batch of raw fruit and yoghurt breakfast cups simply…
Begin by getting your little kitchen helper to cut open the medjool dates and remove each pit.
Place the cashews, pistachio, coconut and date into the large bowl of a food processor and blitz until finely ground and the mixture is sticky. The mixture should hold together when squeezed, if needed add another date or two until the mixture binds.
Divide the mixture between 5 greased (we used a little coconut oil) muffin holes and gently press into the bottom and up the sides of the tin.
Pop the muffin tray into the freezer until the cups are set. This took about an hour and a half for ours.
Run a small knife around the edge of the cups and gently remove.
Ask your kitchen helper to help prepare the fruit. Miss G. loved chopping up our strawberries and was delighted to give our blueberries and raspberries a good wash too. Set aside.
To serve, fill the green flecked nutty cup with a good dollop of yoghurt.
Top with the prepared fruit and serve alongside a few slices of fresh apple if you wish. Enjoy x
- ¾ cups (130 grams) medjool dates, pitted
- ½ cup (40 grams) desiccated coconut
- ¾ cup (110 grams) cashews
- ⅓ cup (35 grams) pistachios, shelled
- plain Greek yoghurt and fresh berries, to serve
- Place the dates, coconut, cashews and pistachios into the large bowl of a food processor and blitz until finely chopped and the mixture sticks together. If needed, add another date or two until the mixture is able to be pressed together. Divide the mixture between 5 holes of a greased (we used a little coconut oil) muffin tray and gently press the mixture into the bottom and up the sides. Place the tray into the freezer until the shells have set (approx. 1½ hours). Gently run a knife around the edge of the cups to remove. To serve, fill each cup with a dollop of yoghurt and top with fresh berries.
- Cups can remain (in a freezer friendly air tight container) in the deep freeze for up to a week. Enjoy x
you may also like…