Grace absolutely adores kale and pesto.
So it was only a matter of time before we combined the two.
And I’m so glad we did.
This kale pesto is absolutely delicious!
Even more so smothered over spaghetti and topped with a TONNE of parmesan cheese.
This pesto is deliciously zesty thanks to the clever mix of kale, basil, mint and lots of lemon zest and juice.
Whilst the kids adored the pesto with their pasta for dinner – they loved making it even more.
From picking the kale, basil and mint leaves from the stems to juicing the lemon – this recipe offers so many fun little jobs for your gorgeous little kitchen helper.
This recipe is officially on our ‘go-to recipes’ list and we hope it makes yours too.
To create your own kale pesto spaghetti simply…
Place a large pot of water of high heat and bring to the boil.
Add spaghetti and cook according to packet instructions.
Drain and set aside.
Begin by washing and drying your hands with your child.
Set them up safely at the kitchen bench OR small table. My kids feel confident stating on stools – but when they were younger I would pop their kids sized table into the middle of the kitchen and get them to work at the table.
Read the recipe together and collect the ingredients needed – naming them as you go.
Ask your child to pull the leaves from 3 stems of kale.
Set up your child in front of a wooden board and using a small serrated knife chop the kale leaves into small pieces.
Ask your child to place the kale leaves into the food processor as well as two cloves of garlic.
Ask your little one to measure 1/2 cup of cashews and add to the bowl.
Together, measure 1/2 cup of grated parmesan and add to the bowl.
Ask your little one to pick the leaves from the mint stems to measure 1 cup of leaves. Add to the bowl.
Next ask your little ones to pull the basil leaves from the stem until you have 1 cup. Place into the bowl.
Together – using a small grater zest the lemon into the bowl.
Arm your child with a knife and guide them through slicing the lemon in half.
Show your child how to squeeze the lemon over the juicer so the lemon juice collects in the bottom.
Pour the lemon juice into the bowl.
Measure 1/2 cup of olive oil and add to the bowl.
Pop the lid onto the bowl of your food processor and blitz until combined. Approximately 40 seconds.
With the motor running add the remaining 1/4 cup of olive oil.
Scrape down the sides of the bowl and blitz again if necessary.
Pour your gorgeously green kale pesto into a bowl.
Place the drained spaghetti back into the saucepan. Add a couple of heaped tablespoons of the pesto and ask your little one to stir to combine. Pour the pesto soaked spaghetti into a serving bowl. Top with basil leaves, a little extra pesto and lots of grated parmesan. Enjoy X
- 400 grams spaghetti
- 3 stalks of kale, leaves removed and chopped
- 1 cup fresh basil, leaves picked PLUS extra to serve
- 1 cup fresh mint, leaves picked
- 2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- ½ cup (70 grams) cashews, raw
- ½ cup parmesan, grated PLUS extra to serve
- zest and juice 1 lemon
- ¾ cup (190 ml) extra virgin olive oil
- Bring a large pot of water to the boil. Add spaghetti and cook according to packet instructions. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, place the kale, basil, mint, garlic, cashews, parmesan, lemon zest and juice and ½ cup (125ml) olive oil into the large bowl of a food processor. Blitz until combined (approx. 40 seconds). With the motor running add the remaining ¼ cup (60 ml) olive oil and blitz until combined - scraping down the sides of the bowl when necessary. Pour the pesto into a small bowl.
- Place the spaghetti back into the saucepan, add a couple of heaped tablespoons of pesto and stir to combine.
- Place the pesto smothered spaghetti into a serving platter, top with extra pesto, fresh basil leaves and a good grating of parmesan cheese.
you may also like…