Say ‘good bye’ to sugar laden store-bought choc cereal and ‘hellloooooo’ to this wholesome home-made chocolatey granola instead.
Chockfull of filling oats, puffed millet, shredded coconut, pumpkin seeds and pecans – this chocolate breakfast treat is not only deeeeeeelishhhhhhhhhhhh but will keep your kids tummies happy until lunch.
We serve our granola with dollops of greek yoghurt and fresh berries but it’s also gorgeous with rounds of banana and warm milk [yep, it’s the perfect winter morning warmer].
This granola is also ridiculously simple to make. 10 mins prep + 10 mins in the oven = 8 serves of the most AMAZING home made granola EVER.
Whilst we usually eat this granola for breakfast. I have to say it makes a delicious trail mix snack too!
To make your own chocolatey granola simply…
Begin by washing and drying your hands with your child.
Set them up safely at the kitchen bench OR small table. Grace feels confident standing on a stool – but when she was younger I would pop her kids sized table into the middle of the kitchen and get Gracie to work at the table.
Read the recipe together and collect the ingredients needed – naming them as you go.
Preheat your oven to 160 degrees celsius (350 F) and line an oven tray with baking paper. Set aside.
With the help of your child measure and add the cacao, maple syrup and coconut oil into a small saucepan. Place saucepan over low-medium heat and stir until the mixture is melted and combined. Remove from heat and set aside.
Ask your little one to measure the puffed millet (or rice) and place into a large bowl.
Measure the rolled (traditional) oats and shredded coconut and add to the bowl.
Measure the pecans and add to the bowl.
Measure the pumpkin seeds and add to the bowl.
Measure the chia seeds and add to the bowl.
Arm your little one with a wooden spoon and ask them to stir the mixture until combined.
Spoon the melted chocolate mixture into the bowl containing the oats/millet/nuts.
Give your child a wooden spoon and ask them to stir the mixture until thoroughly combined.
Ask your little one to spoon the chocolate covered mixture onto the prepared tray.
And spread to create an even layer.
Bake for 5-10 minutes or until slightly golden and toasted.
Allow to cool, add dried cranberries and serve with yoghurt and fresh berries.
- ⅓ cup (35 grams) cacao powder
- ⅓ cup (80 ml) pure maple syrup
- ⅓ cup (80 ml) coconut oil
- 1½ cups (135 grams) rolled (traditional) oats
- 1½ cups (40 grams) puffed millet (or puffed rice)
- 1 cup (60 grams) shredded coconut
- 1 cup (125 grams) pecans
- ½ cup (65 grams) pumpkin seeds
- ¼ cup (40 grams) white chia seeds
- ½ cup (60 grams) dried cranberries
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees celsius (320 F) and line an oven tray with baking paper. Place the cacao, maple syrup and coconut oil into a small saucepan. Place saucepan over low-medium heat and stir until the mixture is melted and combined. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Place the oats, millet, shredded coconut, pecans, pumpkin seeds and white chia seeds into a large bowl. Stir to combine. Add the melted chocolate mixture to the bowl and stir to combine.
- Place the chocolate covered mixture onto the prepared tray and spread evenly. Bake of 5-10 minutes or until golden and slightly toasted. Allow to cool, add dried cranberries and serve with fresh berries and yoghurt.
- Granola will keep in an air tight container for 7-10 days.
you may also like…